The Real Challenge For Elderly Care Providers [Infographics]

It’s not an easy task to provide care for the elderly. It can be quite costly to put elderlies in retirement communities and nursing homes. However, the level of care for in-home senior care and independent living isn’t too high despite being more affordable.


Not to mention that you’ll have to worry about some problems if you choose to be the ones to personally take care of your elders.

The numbers affected in the United States is quite near to the UK’s numbers. Our elders actually take a huge chunk from the 200 million afflicted with Urinary incontinence worldwide.


If you could motivate your elders before they become older, and to help save costs in both medical and caregiving services, advice them to eat the following diet.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and a hundred thousandth pound.

Choosing a Childminder


Childminders look after children on domestic premises in the childminder´s own home. They are registered with OFSTED and inspected every year.

Childminders can often be flexible about the hours that they work and they should provide your child with lots of care, fun and learning.

Childminders can make the most of local parks, playgrounds, toy libraries, drop-in groups and community centres. Often children have the chance to make good friends with the other children who go to their childminder.

Every childminder is different so look for someone who will suit your family.

Some childminders are part of a network; these childminders have agreed to meet set quality standards and some may be accredited to offer Early Years Education.

Plus points

  • Your child will be in a home environment.
  • Childminders can support families for years as children grow up.
  • Can be flexible hours.

How do I know my child will be safe and secure?

First of all you know your child best – look for a childminder you feel will be suitable for your child.

Childminders must be registered before they begin to work with children. This means checks are carried out to make sure they are suitable to care for children. People over 16 years living in the childminder`s household are also police checked to make sure they have not carried out any offence against a child. A check on the childminder´s home is carried out as well to make sure it is safe and suitable for children.

After a childminder is registered, every year an inspection is carried out to make sure the childminder is continuing to provide a safe and suitable service.

You can ask to see a childminder´s registration certificate and latest inspection report. It is illegal for an unregistered person to look after children for reward.

An unregistered person who is a close relative of the child is not officially a childminder.

How many children will there be with a childminder?

Childminders can care for up to six children aged under eight, of whom no more than three must be aged under five, at any one time. Most childminders are registered for three children under five and three children under eight at any one time. Only one child may be under one year, unless an exception is made by OFSTED, twins for example.

The childminder´s own children are taken into account and counted in these numbers.

Childminders who work with an assistant may look after larger groups of children.

What age range are the children with a childminder?

Children can go to a childminder from a few months old right through until they reach secondary school although they are only registered to look after children aged under 8. Childminders may also care for children between 8 and 14, as long as the number of older children looked after does not adversely affect the care provided for children under 8.

When are childminders open?

Childminders are self employed and so they decide on their working hours. Most childminders will provide you with childcare between the hours of 8am and 6pm. Some childminders will work early mornings, evenings and weekends as well. You will need to negotiate hours, terms and conditions with the childminder.

What about part-time childcare?

Many childminders are happy to provide families with part-time places for children. They often drop children off at school and pick them up. Childminders can also take your child to a playgroup or pre-school as part of the routine.

How much does a childminder cost?

Childminders set their charges themselves. Charges vary in different areas.

There is no national rate but most childminders will charge between £68 and £160 per child per week for full-time care.

How do I find a childminder?

Ask your local Children´s Information Service (CIS) for advice about childminders in your area.

New Deal For Lone Parents


The New Deal for Lone Parents programme is a voluntary service. It can help you find a job or suitable training to bring your skills up to date.

It is available to ALL lone parents (with a child under 16 years old) who are not working, or who are working less than 16 hours per week. Asylum seekers are not entitled to take part (unless they have exceptional leave to stay or have refugee status).

If you agree to take part, you will have your own Personal Adviser who will:

  • help you with expenses to attend meetings, job interviews or training they arrange for you, including fares and registered childcare costs
  • help you identify registered childcare
  • help you through the first steps of applying for and finding the right job
  • calculate how much better off you could be in a job
  • explain the effect that starting work may have on your benefits
  • explain which benefits you may be entitled to when you move into work
  • access specialist employment advice if you have a disability or health problem
  • help you identify any necessary training opportunities
  • continue to offer help and advice even after you’ve found a job

You may also be eligible for other benefits whilst in your new job. These may include:-

  • Childcare Subsidy
    Lone parents participating in NDLP and taking up work of less than 16 hours per week through their Personal Adviser will receive help with childcare costs.
  • Working and Child Tax Credits
    Working Tax Credit is a payment to top up the earnings of working people on low incomes, including those who do not have children. There are extra amounts for working households in which someone has a disability. It is available to employees and self-employed people, and includes support for the costs of qualifying childcare.
    Child Tax Credit is a payment to support families with children. You can claim Child Tax Credit if you are responsible for one child (or young person) or more. You do not have to be working to claim.
  • Income Support Run-on
    For lone parents who have been on Income Support or income-based Jobseekers Allowance for 6 months. If you move into a job of over 16 hours per week and which lasts longer than five weeks, you will be entitled to two extra weeks of Income Support.
  • Council Tax and Housing Benefit Run-on
    An extra four weeks payment of Council Tax Benefit and four weeks Housing Benefit is also payable to qualifying lone parents.
  • Mortgage Responsibilities
    Qualifying lone parents with a mortgage can get an extra four weeks Income Support (this is made up of two weeks Lone Parents Benefit run-on followed by two weeks Income Support mortgage interest payments).
  • Help with mortgage interest payments
    Immediate re-qualification for help with mortgage interest payments for lone parents who take up full time work if re-claiming Income Support or income-based Jobseekers Allowance within 52 weeks from starting a job.
  • Part-time work of less than 16 hours per week
    Lone parents moving into work of less than 16 hours per week are entitled to keep the first £20 of their earnings per week without it affecting their Income Support.
  • In work support
    During the first weeks of work, Personal Advisers will still be available to help with enquiries from lone parents who have any concerns.


If you need to train first, your Personal Adviser will be able to recommend the best training or education option for you.